How To Apply For Elite Status
Athletes wishing to be granted elite status must submit an Application for Elite Status.
- Eligibility may be for a 2-year period. Athletes must re-apply every two years.
- Athletes who received Elite Status for a 2-year period for the in 2016 and 2017 seasons must reapply for 2018-2019 seasons.
- Athletes who were approved for Elite Status for a 2-year period in 2017 need only to renew their 2018 memberships and select “elite” as the member option. If your membership profile does not offer the “elite” option then please contact Triathlon Ontario to update your profile.
- Elite athletes wishing to race in draft legal races must be draft legal certified.
- Applications received by Triathlon Ontario are reviewed by a Qualification Committee for evaluation.
- The current Qualification Committee consists of: Craig Talyor, Head Coach of Guelph Triathlon Project, Steve Harrigan, Board Member of Triathlon Canada, James Loaring, Head Coach of LPC Triathlon Club.
- The committee may choose to award elite status for a “trial period – length to be determined by them” if they wish to further evaluate a candidate.
- Elite status will be awarded for specific disciplines and distances based on the recommendation of the qualification committee.
How To Become Drafting Certified
Elite, U23, Junior and Youth athletes wishing to race in a non-Age Group draft legal event must possess valid draft legal certification prior to competing and must be current Triathlon Ontario members. Draft certification status is part of a member’s profile and printed on the electronic membership cards that are emailed to each member at the time of membership renewal.
Requirements for draft certification
- Be 12 years of age or older
- Been certified by Triathlon Ontario Provincial Development Coach
Draft legal certification status is valid for a period of three years. A drafting approved status will be renewed provided the athlete can demonstrate that he or she has raced in at least five draft legal events in the previous three year period. Failure to complete the minimum number of events will necessitate re-qualification.
The next certification courses for 2018 will likely be scheduled for May in Milton and Ottawa.
Triathlon Ontario strongly recommends that clubs and coaches prepare their athletes prior to a certification test by ensuring they are able to sufficiently complete all of the drills and skills within the drafting manual below.
Triathlon Ontario Drafting Certification Manual