NEW TO RACE DIRECTING?
Congratulations on wanting to help grow the sport of Multisport in Ontario and welcome to the Triathlon Ontario family! We have put together some resources below that will help you to put on a fantastic safe, fun race and get the most out of being a Race Director. Please take a look.
HOW TO SANCTION
Sanctioning is one of the key pieces of Triathlon Ontario’s Risk Management Program. Triathlon Ontario’s sanction ensures that the race has met our safety standards and is a fair competition.
Any race director wishing to sanction an event through Triathlon Ontario must complete an online Sanctioning Application now located at www.ccnbikes.com. In the Application, you are asked for specific information including:
- Detailed site and route maps that show volunteer and police locations
- Names of swim, bike, run, transition and medical supervisors
- Medical and safety information
- Contingency Plan for changes in the Weather
- Emergency Action Plans
- A copy of the waiver to be used, if they aren’t using Triathlon Ontario’s
Event risks are evaluated based on this information. If necessary, adjustments are suggested. Once an event is sanctioned, it is insured under Triathlon Ontario’s policy as are all of its participants, staff, officials and volunteers. Medical staff and lifeguards are not included.
BENEFITS OF SANCTIONING
- Sanctioned races have access to liability insurance coverage of $5M or $10M to cover race staff, volunteers and participants.
- Races that sanction with Triathlon Ontario are able to use the “Sanctioned and Insured by Triathlon Ontario” logo for branding and marketing purposes. By being a sanctioned race your participants know that you are committed to providing a safe and fair experience for them by having a neutral, third party review and approve your race specifics and that you are committed to growing and developing the sport in the province.
- Sanctioned races have the privilege to use the National Triathlon Canada Registration System, powered by CCN Bikes. The NTRS offers 1) First class, premium user experience for both the race organizer and participant 2) Lowest processing fees in the market (3.5% +$1.50 per transaction) 3) Real time recognition of Triathlon Ontario membership at point of sale, ensuring accurate one day fee discounting and fee distribution.
- Sanctioned races have access to the Vorgee/Triathlon Ontario discounted swim cap program. Race organizers can order latex swim caps in a variety of colours with double sided printing. For orders over 1,000 caps we offer $0.97/ cap – 1 color print plus tax and shipping, less than 1,000 caps we offer $1.75 – 1 color print plus tax and shipping.
- Sanctioned races have the ability to bid on hosting Provincial competitions and series (at no extra cost) and National/International competitions.
- Sanctioned races are officiated by Triathlon Ontario’s staff. Officials ensure the integrity and safety of the event as a neutral third party onsite. Officials work with race organizers to ensure a smooth execution of each event. Post event race organizers receive an officials report that provides positive and constructive feedback.
- Races that are sanctioned receive promotional support via Triathlon Ontario’s website, event calendar, social media channels and bi-weekly newsletters as well as www.GoTri.ca and its social media channels at no extra cost.
- Additional onsite social media promotion and marketing through Triathlon Ontario’s media tools if a Provincial event host
- Complementary Triathlon Ontario membership for race organizer.
- Triathlon Ontario offers the lowest one-day membership fees in North America, helping to keep barriers of entry low for participants.
WHY IS SANCTIONING BY TRIATHLON ONTARIO IMPORTANT?
When you see that an event is sanctioned by Triathlon Ontario you know that:
- It has undergone a risk assessment by Triathlon Ontario and met the required safety standards
- Everyone participating in the event (whether or a member or an individual with a day of race licence) is covered up to $5,000,000 for liability
- All participants, volunteers, officials, race staff and sponsors are insured
- That the event is safe and fair for everyone involved
- ITU rules will be used unless Triathlon Ontario deems otherwise
- Race formats and distances conform to Triathlon Canada’s Youth Guidelines and are consistent with Canada’s Long Term Athlete Development (LTAD) Strategy
- Only sanctioned events have access to Triathlon Ontario’s trained and professional Officials
- Only sanctioned events are recognized by Triathlon Canada and the ITU
- Only sanctioned events can host Provincial, National and International Title Events
- Only Triathlon Ontario sanctioned events can host National Team Qualifying Races or secure Qualifying Spots for Ontario’s athletes
- Technical Support for new and existing events – If you need help, Triathlon Ontario is there to help you
Triathlon Ontario’s Sanctioning Process is the Gold Standard as proven by our outstanding claims history. Insurers know that Triathlon Ontario’s process is thorough and addresses all risks that might arise in an event.
All proceeds from Day of Race Fees in excess of admin costs are re-invested into growing the sport of triathlon and supporting Ontario’s triathletes and its stakeholders.