Quest For Gold – Ontario Athlete Assistance Program
Quest for Gold – Ontario Athlete Assistance Program (OAAP) is funded by the Government of Ontario, through the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport (MTCS).
Specific objectives of the program are:
- To help athletes continue their pursuit of athletic excellence at the highest levels of national and international competition;
- To encourage athletes to stay in Ontario to live and train;
- To compensate athletes for earnings lost while training;
- To enable athletes to successfully pursue excellence in sport while fulfilling their educational goals;
- To increase athlete access to improved high performance coaching; and
- To enhance training and competitive opportunities available to athletes.
Ideally an athlete will first receive a Quest for Gold “Ontario Card” for 1 to 3 years, which will allow them to train towards the goal of a national team position in subsequent years.
Once an Ontario athlete reaches the national level and becomes a recipient of Sport Canada’s carding program, they become eligible for the Quest for Gold “Canada Card”. Athletes who are not planning to train towards this level of competition should not apply for this program.
How Does It Work?
For 2020, the MTCS has allocated Triathlon Ontario a total of 8 Ontario cards (split evenly as 4 male and 4 female cards). Carding status will be for one year starting April 1, 2020 ending March 31, 2021.
An athlete’s age will be determined as of December 31, 2019.
Triathlon Ontario is not obligated to assign all Ontario Cards if there are an insufficient number of athletes who have met the minimum threshold.
The Selection Committee, as approved by the Triathlon Ontario Board of Directors is comprised of the following members:
Phil Dale, Executive Director
Greg Kealey, Provincial Development Coach
Craig Taylor, Former National Training Centre Head Coach
How To Apply:
All required information (a spreadsheet or word document or email containing the athlete’s name, age as of December 31, 2019, Triathlon Ontario membership number, coach’s name and NCCP number, relevant results with links to the official results page and the accompanying points scored) must be submitted no later than April 3rd, 2020 (4pm Eastern) to:
2-2015 Pan Am Blvd., Milton, ON, L9E 0K7
2020 Draft Nominations List