Guidelines for Clubs, Coaches, and Members on the Current State of Return To Sport
- No more than 10 people. This includes the coach, any support personnel, all athletes, and parents/guardians. We get a lot of questions about this point.
- It’s the total size of the gathering, so 4 groups of 10 is 40: not allowed.
- Staggered workouts can work if the first group is completely gone by the time the second arrives – however if people hang in the parking lot, all use the same washroom, or one group catches another, that’s a problem.
- No spectators except one parent or guardian for athletes under 18. Spectators count towards the total.
- Everyone’s socially distanced. With the exception of people in the same household or “bubble,” everyone must maintain 2 metres distance.
- If there’s a serious injury, provide necessary assistance while taking reasonable precautions. As with first aid and lifeguarding, rendering reasonable aid within your training and experience will not subject one to liability.
- Everyone’s a member. For the workout to be sanctioned, everyone participating must be an annual Triathlon Ontario member, a one-day member, or trying your club for the first time.
- Sanction your Club. If your club hasn’t done the paperwork for 2020, you can do so here.
- Sanction your workout. (If you haven’t already.) Workouts already sanctioned are still so and don’t need to be redone. Workout sanction requests are done through an easy online form. You can sanction multiple workouts on one form. Find the form here.
- Waivers. Everyone participating must sign the TO 2020 waiver. Current TO annual members already have. To check that members are current, use this link. Ensure one-day members and those trying a workout sign a waiver before they participate. Electronic signing through CCN is fine. Scan paper waivers and email them to TO.
- Records. Just as normal, keep track of who attended your workout – it may be needed for more than just membership checks!
- Safety briefing. Brief your athletes for sport safety just as you normally would. Add to this during the COVID era reasonable precautions that apply to your workout, such as: distancing, staying away if symptomatic, not sharing equipment, avoiding other groups, parking, washrooms, sanitation, etc. Put safety points on any website or social media pages.
- Disclaimer. Ensure your athletes are aware that communicable diseases are not covered. This has always been the case, but the insurers are understandably requiring that this particular point be made at every opportunity. Put this point on any website or social media pages.
- EAP. All workouts require an Emergency Action Plan. Please ensure these are up-to-date and in place. Everyone should know where the EAP is and what to do with it. Plan what to do if there’s an injury and add this to your EAP. How will you respond to an injury during COVID? Do you have protective gear (masks) in your first-aid kit?
- Venue requirements. Please follow the requirements of the venue you’re using.
- Sport safety. As for all workouts, ensure your workout is safe for your athletes, yourself, and the public.
- Stage Two: https://www.ontario.ca/page/reopening-ontario-whats-each-stage#s-23
- Emergency orders: https://www.ontario.ca/page/emergency-information
- Gatherings: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200052
- Facilities and amenities: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200104
- Closure of business: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/200051
- Day camps: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/coronavirus/docs/2019_summer_day_camps_guidance.pdf
- Support the growth and development of Multisport in a safe, fun, and fair way
- Contribute to programming for Youth, Junior, High Performance, Paratriathlon, and Age Groupers
- $5M Liability and $50K Sport Accident insurance at all Triathlon Ontario sanctioned events
- Annual subscription to Triathlon Magazine Canada
- Discounts on all Triathlon Ontario clinics and courses
- 4 quarterly NEW BALANCE 20% discount codes
- 20% off of all INFINIT Nutrition products
- Access to Individual Athlete Insurance program extending our Liability and Sport Accident insurance 24/7, worldwide while training
- Access to bike insurance program – protects against damage and theft at sanctioned races, club workouts and special events
- Triathlon Canada membership and all of its member benefits
Should you have further questions, please reach out Monday-Thursday, 9:30 – 3:00.
About Triathlon Ontario
Triathlon Ontario is a non-profit organization that is the recognized Provincial governing body for Multisport in the province of Ontario. Our mission is to provide leadership and governance for the development of a safe and fair environment for Multisport in Ontario. Triathlon Ontario oversees the sanctioning of races and clubs and undertakes a number of duties and responsibilities on behalf of athletes at every level, coaches, clubs, officials and race directors to ensure the growth and development of the sport in a fun and safe way.
Provincial Development Program Sponsor
GoTri.ca is a resource website created by Triathlon Ontario specifically for beginners and new entrants in the sport of triathlon, duathlon and other multisport events. The website is an easy-to-use resource tool to find sanctioned Ontario clubs, events, coaches or general information about the sport.